If you want to burn calories and get back in shape, we’ve got a 4 week training programme to help. Each week you’ll do 3 workout sessions, with a mix of endurance and strength training. The interval training will help you burn those extra calories you want to get rid of.
- Sessions 1 and 2: Start with a 3 minutes warm up. For the next 30 minutes, alternate between 1 minute of intense effort (get your heart rate to 160-180bpm), and 2 minutes at a slower pace to recover. Repeat this 10 times. Finish with 2 minutes low intensity training to recover.
- Session 3: Do one longer session of an hour at a heart rate of 125bpm.
- Sessions 1 and 2: Start with a 3 minutes warm up. Then go between 1 minute of high intensity effort (again, your heart rate should be around 160-180bpm), and 1 minute at a moderate speed. Repeat this 15 times, bringing you to a total of 30 minutes. Finish your session with a 2 minutes recovery period.
- Session 3: Train for one hour, with an average heart rate of 130bpm.
- Sessions 1 and 2: After your 3 minutes warm up, your interval training will consist of 30 seconds high intensity training (again, around 160-180bpm heart rate), and 30 seconds to recover. Repeat it 30 times for a 30 minutes workout. As usual, finish with a 2 minutes recovery period.
- Session 3: Train for 60 minutes, with an average heart rate of 140bpm.
If your bike or elliptical does not have a built-in heart rate monitor, you can use a separate device to track that. If you don’t own one, look out for signs that you’re around the correct heart rate. For example, if you want your heart to be around 160-180bpm, you will:
- Have difficulty speaking
- Start to sweat a lot
- Feel your heart rate go much faster than normal
If you’re around 130-140bpm, you will:
- Be able to speak
- Start to sweat
- Feel your heart accelerating a bit
If you’re in the recovery phase, with little effort being made, you will:
- Be able to speak easily (could even sing a bit)
- Feel like your body is on “auto-pilot”
We hope this training programme will help you achieve your goals. Have fun getting there!