The pollution warnings regularly issued by the governmental health authorities are increasingly frequent. It must be said that there are a number of risks associated with breathing in a polluted environment. . This is particularly true for people with a delicate disposition:
- Increased risk of developing asthma (or triggering an asthma attack).
- Increased risk of cardiovascular accidents or cerebrovascular accidents.
- Increased risk of lung cancer.
- Running on a treadmill or a home trainer
- Cycle on bike trainer
- Stretching sessions and general physical preparation at the gym or even yoga courses
Haile Gebreselassie, who is probably the greatest long-distance runner ever, preferred to forfeit the Marathon of the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008 because of the pollution levels that are commonly recorded in the Chinese city. Gebreselassie suffers from asthma and did not want to take any risk. One month later, he broke the world record in Berlin!