Regarding equipment and tools, at Decathlon we stock a wide range of tools and cleaning agents and lubes which can help. At the very least, consider purchasing the following:
- A bike stand that rotates 360° that keeps your bike off the ground. It makes it much easier when removing wheels to target those hard-to-reach areas.
- A couple of dry cloths and 2 brushes, one large and soft, one small and hard. The large brush will be used to scrub the frame and wheels, while the smaller brush will be used to target those parts of the bike more difficult to clean such as the chain and cassette.
- Formulated bike cleaner specially developed for bicycles. You want to avoid using cleaning agents that can damage the paintwork.
- A chain cleaner is an optional extra. With a series of brushes and magnets they can quickly and easily clean even the dirtiest of chains. Failing this, a small hard brush will achieve the same end result.
- A hose and a water supply. Avoid using a high-powered jet wash as it will quickly remove the grease from your bearings.