Surya Namaskar helps burn calories, stimulates sluggish glands like the thyroid gland, and induce it to increase hormonal secretions. It helps in bringing a glow to the face and also prevents wrinkles. Your whole body ends up getting toned. It also makes your body more flexible.
Safety Instruction and Technique:
- Stand at the edge of your mat, keep your feet together, and balance your weight equally on both the feet. Expand your chest and relax your shoulders. As you breathe in, lift both arms from the sides, and as you exhale, bring your palms together in prayer position.
- Breathing out, bend forward from the waist keeping the spine erect. As you exhale completely, bring the hands down to the floor beside the feet.
- Breathing in, push your right leg back, as far back as possible. Bring the right knee to the floor and lookup.
- As you breathe in, take the left leg back and bring the whole body in a straight line.
- Gently bring your knees down to the floor and exhale. Take the hips back slightly, slide forward, rest your chest and chin on the floor. Raise your posterior a little bit. The two hands, two feet, two knees, chest, and chin (eight parts of the body) should touch the floor.
- Slide forward and raise the chest up into the Cobra pose. You may keep your elbows bent in this pose with the shoulders away from the ears. Look up at the ceiling.
- Breathing out, lift the hips and the tailbone up to bring the body into an inverted ‘V’ pose.
- Breathing in, bring the right foot forward in between the two hands. The left knee goes down on the floor. Press the hips down and look up.
- Breathing out, bring the left foot forward. Keep the palms on the floor. You may bend the knees, if necessary.
- As you exhale, first straighten the body. As you breathe in, lift both arms up from the sides, and as you exhale, bring your palms together in front of the chest in prayer position.
Note: Complete the round by repeating the steps. Only this time, start with taking the left foot behind in step number 3 and bringing the right foot forward in step number 9.