To strengthen the feet, ankles, legs, core, back, and arms. Practicing this asana gives strength to your chest, ankles, hips, and legs, increases your metabolism and helps in weight loss. It gives your groin, abdominal organs, and thighs a good stretch. Your posture is improved, and balance is increased.
Safety Instructions and Technique:
- Begin in mountain pose. Shift your weight to your left foot and bend your right knee so your right-hand can reach your right foot. Keep your right kneecap pointed toward the ground.
- Grabbing the outside of the foot is typically more challenging, but it will provide a deeper stretch for your shoulders and will better encourage your chest to stay lifted.
- Option to kick your right foot into your right hand, lifting the foot up and back at the same time. The more actively you use your right leg, the easier it will be to maintain your balance.
- Extend your left arm forward and up, reaching toward the sky.
- Press evenly into all four corners of your left foot, paying special attention to the mound of your big toe. Engage the quadriceps muscles of your left leg by pulling the knee cap up.
- Hold for up to 10 breathing cycles.
- To release from the pose, slowly let go of your right foot, placing it back on the floor returning to standing. Take several deep breaths before repeating on the other side.
You had any recent shoulder injuries or suffer from low blood pressure.